Municipal Court

Will It Appear on My Record

Home  Government  Municipal Court  Electronic Hearing Instructions and Form  Will it Appear on my Record?

When you pay the penalty, mitigate, or if the Judge finds you have committed a traffic infraction, state law requires that the infraction be reported to the Department of Licensing.  The infraction will appear on your driving record.  Neither the Court Clerk, nor the Judge, has the authority to keep the infraction off your record.  If you are found to have not committed the infraction, it is not reported to the Department of Licensing and will not appear on your driving record.

However, you may request the Court to defer It’s Finding pursuant to RCW 46.63.070 (5)(a)  except that, a person may not receive more than one deferral in a seven year period.

RCW 46.63.070 (5)(a) Except as provided in (b) and (c) of this subsection, in hearings conducted pursuant to subsections (3) and (4) of this section, the court may defer findings, or in a hearing to explain mitigating circumstances may defer entry of its order, for up to one year and impose conditions upon the defendant the court deems appropriate. Upon deferring findings, the court may assess costs as the court deems appropriate for administrative processing. If at the end of the deferral period the defendant has met all conditions and has not been determined to have committed another traffic infraction, the court may dismiss the infraction.