Starting on Monday, June 11th, the Water Department will be replacing approximately 1,640 feet of water main that services nine residential connections on SE Jones Road between Dickinson Avenue and SE Arcadia Road.
The existing 6” Asbestos Concrete (AC) water main is currently in a state of deterioration as a result of two primary factors: 1) The line is partially located in a wooded area and AC lines are especially susceptible to fractures caused by encroaching tree roots, and 2) The line is bedded in soil containing a high content of moisture, which is unfavorable to the external integrity of AC water pipe.
The AC water main currently runs along the east side of Jones Road. The new water main will be installed on the West side of Jones, and will be upgraded to a new 8” PVC piping. The new line will provide significant increases to the capacity for fire flow. As a result, two new fire hydrants will be installed as part of the project. The first hydrant will be placed at the mid-point of Jones Road between Dickson Avenue and SE Arcadia Road. The second hydrant will be located near the intersection of SE Arcadia Road and Jones Road.
Once the new water main has been installed, and the nine residential service connections have been transferred over to the new line, new asphalt will then be applied over the excavated areas.
Construction is scheduled to start on Monday, June 11, 2018. It is anticipated that the project will be completed by the end of July 2018.
- Dickinson Avenue, and the southbound lane of Jones Road, will be closed and detoured for a short duration on Monday, June 11th and Tuesday, June 12th while crews grind sections of asphalt for the upcoming excavation. Signs and flaggers will be setup directing traffic around the work area. Local traffic will still have access.
- On Wednesday, June 13th, Dickinson Avenue will be closed for the installation of the water main live tap and water main pipe installation across Dickinson Avenue. Detours will be established on Center Street and Elinor Ave. Signs and flaggers will be setup directing traffic around the work area. Dickinson Avenue will reopen at approximately 3:00 PM.
- Periodic roadway and lane closures are anticipated throughout the duration of the project. Signs will be on display designating the work area and rerouting traffic around the closure.
- There will be some temporary restrictions on parking throughout the project area to accommodate construction operations. Impacts on local parking will be minimized to the extent possible.
- Accommodations will be made for local traffic access throughout the duration of the project.
Interruptions in water service will be minimal. The nine residential connections will only be effected after the new water main has been installed, pressure tested, and a water sample has been tested and approved. The service line transfers from the old water main to the new main will take place one customer at a time, and will take approximately 3-5 days to complete. Each water service shut down should not exceed two hours.
Mike Albaugh, Public Works Superintendent